Monday, April 22, 2013

Marathon Madness

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil; for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. Psalm 23:4 


I think of the valley of death that exists at the corner of Exeter and Boylston streets in Boston this week. I have walked that street many times; met friends on that corner. To see it covered in blood and detritus was appalling. 

As I have tried to wash that image out of my mind in the days since the attack, the words of the 23rd Psalm have served as a balm for my distress. But the fact is: evil exists. There are times when events in our world cast our collective sense of comfort and safety into the fire; times when we teeter at the edge of hopelessness. 

This week, let us remember that we are Easter people; and when the valley of the shadow of death threatens us, we cling to our Lord's words: I am with you. I will never leave or forsake you.

No comments:

Post a Comment