Thursday, September 3, 2015

Be Opened!

Jesus said, “Ephphatha! Be opened.”  Mark 7:34



When I was discerning for Holy Orders, I remember hoping God would just give me a sign or something – something to tell me I was walking down the right path. “Please just send me an e-mail,” I often whined. I never expected that I’d have some monumental religious experience like the appearance of a tower of flames and a voice saying, “Liz……? It’s God…….”  I knew better.  But discernment is such an ephemeral thing, and we rarely know specifically what God wants us to do or what paths to pursue. God just isn’t into e-mail yet, I guess.  

In this week’s Gospel, we will encounter the passage about Jesus healing a man who was deaf. “Ephphatha! Be opened,” Jesus says.  And that command got me to thinking.  What if our eyes and ears and hearts were really opened and not distracted by the white noise that surrounds us day after day? What would happen if we were really opened? Opened to differing opinions? Opened to different perspectives? Opened to new neighborhoods and cultures? I think we’d be astonished.                                                                                                                                             

What if your eyes and ears and hearts were really opened – for just one day?                                    
What would change?



No comments:

Post a Comment