Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Abandoning Perfection

“O Lord you are my portion and my cup; it is you who uphold my lot. My boundaries enclose a pleasant land ……” Psalm 16:7-8

This line has been poking at my heart and mind since I prayed this psalm last week. What is God asking me to look at? I became conscious of the need to review my goals, to see if they still were relevant. I have needed affirmation (for a long time) that I am doing parochial pastoral care “right.” Right – not WRONG. I've needed to know the care I offer is not “merely adequate” but actually top of the line pastoral care.

This week, a subtle shift occurred. I understood all at once that this desire for “perfection” is unattainable because it cannot be measured. That begged the question – if I didn’t give up my quest for “that perfect visit” -- the perfect delivery of perfect pastoral care -- would I always live in quiet desperation?

What if I set aside the quest for “perfection” and replaced it with “competency? ” A subtle shift, but a profound one for me. Could that be satisfying? I'm living that question right now. Competency - and how that feels. So, how does this feel? It is a presence I have in my work that feels like it’s a good fit. Like a familiar pair of old loafers or your favorite sweater. Where have I felt this familiarity before? What is this feeling of well being? Optimism?

Then it came to me. It feels like when I pray. When Jesus and I are back on a first name basis after I’ve been away for awhile. There’s a comfort and a familiarity that I can rest in. It’s like old friends catching up. There’s an easiness to us – together – that I call being “right with God.” And how good that feels!

And it feels authentic. Not pride filled, not boastful, just authentic. And Id rather have authenticity than perfection any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment