Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Me 'N Thomas

Put your finger here and see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it in my side. Do not doubt, but believe.    John 20:27





The Apostle Thomas, the one we often refer to as "Doubting Thomas," wasn't around the first time Jesus appeared to the others in the Upper Room. After the fact, his buddies tell him this fantastical story: "Oh, darn, old boy, bad luck; you missed him! Jesus was here. He's not dead after all; he's alive! He was right here with us!"

It's easy to jump on Thomas, cluck-clucking and tsk-tsking because he's the one who had trouble accepting this preposterously inconceivable feat of Resurrection as truth. (But was he the only one?) Thomas' authentic questioning, his heartfelt need to "trust, but verify" resonates with me.

I get Thomas; I get his doubt. Isn't Thomas every one of us from time to time?  The Good News is this:  our Lord knows this about us. "Reach out and put your hand in my side." Take whatever time you need. It's okay. If touching me is what you need, then touch. I'll be here. Always.

Thanks be to God.


No comments:

Post a Comment